April 27, 2020
DMI-APWU ZOOM MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
- 2 new positive Covid-19 cases - supervisor in Beaverdale, clerk in West Station Cedar Rapids
- Hawkeye District USPS positive Covid-19 cases: 13
- Iowa Positive Covid-19 cases – 5868
- 127 Iowa Covid-19 related deaths
- Discussion on ways to get management to adhere to the Stand-up Talk on mandatory masks in areas where social distancing is not possible, such as the PASS area, accountable cart, Pouch Rack/Priority Belt, Registry Room, OJT (on the job training) and the need for District to mandate policy. Management not enforcing the rule and not wearing masks themselves. Bates to address with Plant Manager Behrends
- If management fails to enforce and coworkers refuse to wear a mask or face shield, file 1767s, fill out a 3971 requesting Admin leave and go home. If no timely response to 1767s is received from management, file a grievance.
- If someone has a medical note excusing the use of a face mask in a work area where social distancing is not possible, they should either wear a face shield or be accommodated elsewhere
- New face shields are popular, we hope to be getting more soon. Made by Iowa Central Community College. Thanks Tom & Kelly from Fort Dodge!
- Workers’ Memorial Day, April 28 2020 at 11:00 a.m. we’ll display 30 white crosses in front of the Main Post Office along with banner: Postal Heroes, Gone but Not Forgotten! to honor USPS employees lost to Covid-19. Will also educate the public on the dire need for Congress to include USPS in next Coronavirus stimulus plan. If no help received, it may be broke by October
- Waterloo positive Covid-19 and lack of sanitizing following the confirmed positive
- OSHA complaint at NDC for not sanitizing properly following confirmed positive Covid-19
- Blue Page has resources for management to set up work areas (PASS) and break rooms to ensure social distancing, stand up talks instructing to report ALL Covid-19 positive, wiping down reusable gloves with alcohol, leaving dock door open for space between loads
- Expeditors should be handing drivers a mask and informing of social distancing practice.
- Main Office Station needs partitions between the window clerks
- Waste Mail Table - working with maintenance to add a table and install plexiglass
- Working with maintenance manager in getting bio fog spray guns
- Getting masks/shields to Hartford and Indianola tomorrow
- Small offices using shower curtains at the window - let us know if you’d prefer plexiglass
- Looking at yard signs, car magnet, printable signs asking to save USPS (202)224-3121
- Auxiliary to stop by Des Moines stations with small gestures of appreciation
- Discussed Ford Plant’s policy requiring face masks and shields and a watch that buzzes if you violate the 6 ft. social distancing policy.
- Google and Amazon on tracking those you’ve been near, to help in contact tracing
- PLEASE CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES TO EXPRESS THE DIRE NEED FOR USPS TO BE INCLUDED IN A CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS PLAN! If the USPS does not receive funding, they’re projected to be broke by September. Save your job! Make the call!
Grassley – (202)224-3744Ernst – (202)224-3254
- Hawkeye District OHNA fax – (515)251-2080
- To call on Governor Reynolds to issue shelter-in-place, call (515)281-5211 Option 1
Please join the DMI-APWU zoom meeting by emailing Mike Bates email@example.com to stay up to date on the latest USPS Covid-19 news. Stay informed, get involved!