April 10, 2020
DMI-APWU ZOOM MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
- PLEASE CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES TO EXPRESS THE DIRE NEED FOR USPS TO BE INCLUDED IN A CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS PLAN! If the USPS does not receive funding, they’re projected to be broke between June and September. Save your job! Please make the call!
Grassley – (202)224-3744Ernst – (202)224-3254
- Hawkeye District OHNA fax – (515)251-2080
- To call on Governor Reynolds to issue shelter-in-place, call (515)281-5211 Option 1
- Hawkeye District now has 2 positive Covid-19 cases reported (Keosauqua and Clinton)
- Guest speaker from New York Dennis O’Neil joined us. He’s an APWU retiree and is actively involved in the Postal Covid-19 Response Facebook group. Although the main concern is safety, this group is a great forum for USPS employees to share stories/photos, pray for one another and unite in solidarity in these times of crisis. It’s also a place to experience public support of the USPS and employees, as well as a good place to ask questions and share information about the numerous LMOUs being dispersed.
- The US is now the most infected country in the world, has highest death rate
- NY is the epicenter - 6,000 deaths and the number is underreported due to lack of testing. Some have walked out, system not collapsing but showing signs of stress
- Emphasized the importance of tracking the data, sort facts from rumor
- MVS recommended to double suit due when cleaning vehicles
- Shelter-in-place very effective in New York
- There will be a pivot at some point, though it’s coming Iowa’s way
- Discussed the effect on the economy and Trump’s war on the USPS, such as trash talking USPS and its employees while glorifying USPS and FedEX
- Need to be ready to mobilize on short notice to defend the peoples’ service
- Management in Des Moines is working with the Union on supplying and tracking PPE
- Discussed effects of thinning attendance and mail volume changes due to Covid-19, Bulk Mail has bottomed out, increase in packages due to those home ordering on line.
- Discussed whether Covid-19 actually transmits through the mail. Not impossible, but unlikely transmitted through packages. Be more careful with Amazon bubble wrap packages
- Need to flood social media and National APWU with examples/photos of USPS employees working with PPE and doing good deeds, postal proud moments, etc
- Hawkeye District is buying two cloth masks for all employees in the District
- Some areas are seeing more masks being worn while others report co-workers and supervisors not taking social distancing seriously
- Need to remind people if you’re sick, don’t come to work and don’t come into the union office. We can be reached at (515)283-7770.
- Discussion on disseminating the Decision Tree so people know how to report Covid-19 issues.
- Concerns that people who are sick are not being tracked and may be returning to work while still contagious, possibly infecting others.
- Again, please take 10 minutes to wipe down your work area. If no PPE is provided, let management know you’ll be happy to work when proper PPE is supplied.
- Signs have been posted on drinking fountains and no spitting signs posted on bulletin boards
- National Teleconference took place today, information to come
- Sent signed letter to President Dimondstein requesting Hazard pay, Admin leave and postal relief on behalf of the Postal Covid-19 Response Facebook group.
- Waterloo seeing changes after providing photos of examples in Des Moines.
- New pay scales have been posted; banners are being hung thanking employees as heroes. Small offices to receive yard signs
- Concerns that Iowa is not capturing the true positive cases due to lack of Covid-19 testing
- All four unions are involved in discussions with Headquarters management, multiple meetings taking place per week
- Covid-19 issues are repeatedly shared on social media, Facebook and Twitter
- District received seven pallets, was told it is grocery bags for carriers to store PPE
- Discussed concerns of hospital shortage of PPE
- Please encourage co-workers to use the provided PPE and practice social distancing
Please join the DMI-APWU zoom meeting by emailing Mike Bates email@example.com to stay informed. We would love to hear your input! United we stand, divided we fall!