April 15, 2020
DMI-APWU ZOOM MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
- PLEASE CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES TO EXPRESS THE DIRE NEED FOR USPS TO BE INCLUDED IN A CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS PLAN! If the USPS does not receive funding, they’re projected to be broke by September. Save your job! Make the call!
Grassley – (202)224-3744Ernst – (202)224-3254
- Hawkeye District OHNA fax – (515)251-2080
- To call on Governor Reynolds to issue shelter-in-place, call (515)281-5211 Option 1
- Another positive Coronavirus case - South Des Moines clerk, several employees are quarantined, five tour 3 custodians cleaned and disinfected SDM today, lobby is shut down for 2 weeks
- Custodians were provided white suites (extra layer), N95 masks and gloves. They cleaned with sanitizing wipes, sprayed down the area with alcohol and then sprayed with Lysol disinfectant
- Safety Service Talk at 7:30 tomorrow at SDM
- Masks are now mandatory at South Des Moines Station
- Discussion on forming teams of volunteers trained to disinfect in the event there are not enough custodians due to Coronavirus related leave or a sudden outbreak.
- Discussed need for guidelines for maintenance on proper use of PPE
- Suggestion to look into paint sprayers to disinfect large areas with mist of bleach/water
- Management becoming more protective of supplies which are being counted and reported twice a day.
- Is management actively doing backward tracking to identify those who the infected employees have been in contact with? Discussed the need to notify the public.
- OTDL being called to work at SDM should be aware of positive cases, so they can make an educated choice and protect themselves accordingly
- Unions to District Manager: we need to be notified on positive cases and invited to the Safety Service talks
- Carriers assigned to throw parcels causing crowding at the PASS machines, inhibiting social distancing practices
- Discussed mandatory mask policy, District Manager is hesitant. Plans to provide masks to every District employee
- Discussed disinfecting all lobbies hourly with checklist to sign off
- Discussion on ramping up cleaning and the concern there are not enough custodians
- Please disinfect your equipment and work areas prior to beginning your work day and throughout the day
- Confusion in some small offices over Custodian Letter. Confirmation from Labor that their not planning on contracting the work. Clerks will still do the work in offices with 2 hours or less of cleaning
- Several Postmasters are certifying service talks prior to sending them to their employees. If this happens, let Kim Karol know if you’re a State MAL office or Julie Bates if you’re covered under the DMI-APWU local 44.
- If your office is in need of PPE supplies, please notify the same people listed above.
- Covid-19 is affecting various ethnic groups in different ways. Discussed increase in suicides and the awareness needed to listen and identify those in need of help
- Many feel they’re losing control. Being active by agitating to make changes in response to Covid-19 is a good way to take back control
- KCCI indicates symptoms of Covid-19 are changing and may include not only the dry cough, fever, headache but also sore throat, congestion and in some cases digestive issues.
- Discussion on the plan of action if Des Moines becomes a hot spot. Waiting for response from HR Manager
- Discussion on setting up subcontracting, in advance, in the event custodian staffing issues due to Coronavirus related issues.
- When/if staffing declines, management plans to do the bargaining unit work
- Congresswoman Cindy Axne has signed on as a co-sponsor to HR6425, Protect Post Office Act! Expecting Congresswoman Abby Finkenauer’s support, as well.
- Urgency of the situation reflected in calls deploying RNs in certain fields to serve starting Friday.
- Hospitals have gone from giving each patient a mask to only offering them to those who admit to experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 when asked.
- Recommendation on cleaning plexiglass with an alcohol solution
- Discussion on buying masks for our members and possibly uniting with other postal Unions
- Concerns that roughly 25% on tour 3 are wearing masks.
- Discussion on reaching out to schools (Johnston), UAW for face shields.
Please join the DMI-APWU zoom meeting by emailing Mike Bates firstname.lastname@example.org to stay up to date on the latest Covid-19 news. We would love to hear your input!
United we stand, divided we fall!