April 16, 2020
DMI-APWU ZOOM MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
- PLEASE CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES TO EXPRESS THE DIRE NEED FOR USPS TO BE INCLUDED IN A CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS PLAN! If the USPS does not receive funding, they’re projected to be broke by September. Save your job! Make the call!
Grassley – (202)224-3744Ernst – (202)224-3254
- Hawkeye District OHNA fax – (515)251-2080
- To call on Governor Reynolds to issue shelter-in-place, call (515)281-5211 Option 1
- Another positive Coronavirus case - NDC Tour 3 Custodian, APWU President begged management to shut down the break room, Supervisor was coughing as her mask hung around her neck. Many questions from employees – are we closing down? Should we be in quarantine? Is the Decision Tree being followed?
- Safety Service today at SDM to address the second positive case (window clerk).
- Pushing for teams of volunteers to be trained to disinfect in the event there are not enough custodians due to Coronavirus related leave or a sudden outbreak.
- Discussion on taking temperatures of employees upon entrance. Many companies are doing this. USPS management not on board
- Suggestion to look into electrostatic guns for disinfecting.
- Discussion on who has the say on who gets tested? CDC can have anyone tested. Governor Reynolds avoiding the question
- Is management actively doing backwards tracking to identify those who the infected employees have been in contact with? Discussed the need to notify the public
- OTDL and PSEs being called to work in infected areas should be aware of positive cases, so they can make an educated choice and protect themselves accordingly
- Discussion on Oelwein office, threats of removal made to sick employees if they use leave. District management is slow to react. Discussed going to the Press, picketing outside of the abusive Postmaster’s home.
- Discussed criminal charges to those who discourage or threaten employees for taking Coronavirus related leave
- Need more testing for Covid-19! Many report not being able to get tested unless they call an ambulance or if it gets to the point they can’t breathe, which may be too late.
- Angie and Bart working with Topeka to ensure Covid-19 pallets are labeled appropriately
- Please disinfect your equipment and work areas prior to beginning your work day and throughout the day
- Many received letter from Congresswoman Cindy Axne pledging support for the Postal Service
- Tomorrow’s Safety Huddle to address the difference between N95 surgical masks and face shields
- Discussion on South Des Moines station and the half door. Suggestions include curbside mail delivery, shutting the buzzer down, only offering mail service at certain times, parcel lockers, shipping business mail to the next closest office, making signage informing the public.
- Need for management to put a process in place to address these issues when Covid-19 attacks an area.
- Every office is required to have a COOP, Continuous Office Operations Plan - need to ask management if they’re following the COOP
- APWU National Convention has been cancelled due to Coronavirus
- Doctor’s recommendation on the USPS work conditions regarding PPE and social distancing to be sent to the local President and addressed with District management. Recommends every person be 6 ft. apart and if not feasible, should be wearing masks.
Please join the DMI-APWU zoom meeting by emailing Mike Bates email@example.com to stay up to date on the latest Covid-19 news. Get informed, get involved!
United we stand, divided we fall!