April 22, 2020
DMI-APWU ZOOM MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
- Total Hawkeye District positive Covid-19 cases – 9; 2 of those have returned to work
- Western Area Covid-19 cases – 110; 32 of those have returned to work
- National USPS Covid-19 cases – 1,115; 230 of those have returned to work
- National USPS Covid-19 deaths – over 35
- Total Iowa Covid-19 cases – 3,641 and 83 Covid-19 deaths
- Total National Covid-19 cases – 826,000 and 45,000 deaths
- New MOU today: Covid-19 leave cannot be used against you in requests for transfer
- Go to USMailNotForSale.org or APWU.org to send letter to Congress demanding USPS be included in stimulus
- HR MGR says SDM employees don’t meet criteria for testing everyone due to positive cases because 10% of the workforce must be infected.
- TestIowa.com – go to website, answer questions if you qualify, get tested at Iowa Events Center this Saturday. Get results in 48 hours. More locations to be added.
- There’s been a deployment of nurses for testing sites
- Working to get list of those place on quarantine to ensure leave is coded properly
- Pushing District management for mandatory masks/face shields in areas where social distancing is not possible, such as Stations (PASS), Pouch Rack, Priority Belt, Registry Room, Express Room, Elevators
- Continue to file PS Forms 1767 on all unsafe working conditions
- Expressed to District management the need to disinfect lobbies on an hourly basis (any craft)
- Human Rights teleconference – OSHA is staffed at lowest level since 1971.
- Working with management to clarify coding of leave when placed on quarantine by USPS
- If placed on quarantine by USPS no need to complete FMLA packets requesting certification.
- Waterloo to be a test site for curbside pickup for business and large apartment customers whose offices are closed.
- According to the CDC, Iowa won’t be on the downward slide of Coronavirus until June, they’re also predicting a much worse wave of the virus this fall/winter
- Encouraging window clerks to wear masks or face shields to protect others
- Iowa based maskhelper.org to be featured on tomorrow’s Safety Huddle
- Concerns that once PGM Brennan leave, massive changes to take place
- Sign posted in elevator at Des Moines P&DC: if more than 2 in an elevator, mask is required
- Discussion on labeling some stairways up and some stairways down
- Concern about Tornado Drills/Warnings – good reason to mandatory masks/shields
- Concern that drivers from Fed Ex, UPS, vending, coming into facility unprotected, no masks
- Need for masks for HCR drivers. Will drop some with Expeditors and with Supervisors
- Statistics show more women are being infected with Covid-19 but more men are dying from it
- Many are testing low oxygen levels despite no breathing issues, indicating checking oxygen levels may be a better indicator of infection than temperature taking. Covid-19 works silently and patients sometimes go from no symptoms to red-lining in a short amount of time.
- Detroit is offering testing for all who want tested for Covid-19
- Discussion on need to look ahead at negotiating new FMLA Coronavirus leave, as the virus is expected to be around a while and get worse this fall/winter.
- PLEASE CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES TO EXPRESS THE DIRE NEED FOR USPS TO BE INCLUDED IN A CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS PLAN! If the USPS does not receive funding, they’re projected to be broke by September. Save your job! Make the call!
Grassley – (202)224-3744Ernst – (202)224-3254
- Hawkeye District OHNA fax – (515)251-2080
- To call on Governor Reynolds to issue shelter-in-place, call (515)281-5211 Option 1
Please join the DMI-APWU zoom meeting by emailing Mike Bates firstname.lastname@example.org to stay up to date on the latest USPS Covid-19 news. Stay informed, get involved!