April 24, 2020
DMI-APWU ZOOM MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
- Total Hawkeye District USPS positive Covid-19 cases: 11
- National USPS Covid-19 deaths – 44
- Total Iowa Positive Covid-19 cases – 4,445 and 107 Covid-19 related deaths
- New positive Covid-19 case; Cedar Rapids NE Station.
- Discussion on ways to get management to adhere to the Stand-up Talk on mandatory masks in areas where social distancing is not possible, such as the PASS area, accountable cart, Pouch Rack/Priority Belt, Registry Room, OJT (on the job training) and the need for District to mandate policy.
- New face shields are popular. Made by Iowa Central Community College, thanks Fort Dodge
- West DSM, West Sub, ESCA got face shields. Contact your steward if you’d like a face shield.
- Next batch of face shields will be shared with the Mail Handler union.
- Mask for an Ask: Get a mask (face shield) and in exchange we ask that you submit a postcard asking Congress to Save the USPS
- Workers’ Memorial Day, April 28 2020. At 11:00 a.m. will display 30 white crosses in front of the Main Post Office and banner Postal Heroes, Gone but Not Forgotten! to honor USPS employees taken by Covid-19 and will educate public of the dire need to contact Congress and demand USPS is included in a Coronavirus stimulus plan. If not, we’re projected to go broke by October.
- Trump today – “the Postal Service is a Joke” then sends disingenuous USPS friendly tweets.
- Waterloo positive Covid-19; Management needs to work better to protect privacy of Covid-19 positive employees, needs to supply custodians with proper PPE
- Beware of hold ups at windows due to desperation of the pandemic as well as plexiglass and masks making it hard to identify suspects.
- WDM and ESCA need better sneeze guards that offer more coverage
- Keep filing PS Forms 1767 for unsafe work environments. If management doesn’t respond, it goes to step 2 and will go onto OSHA log.
- Tornado drills have been suspended due to Covid-19. In the event of a Tornado Warning, kits will be provided consisting of masks, hand sanitizers and gloves.
- Looking at yard signs, car magnet, printable signs asking to save USPS (202)2254-3121
- PLEASE CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES TO EXPRESS THE DIRE NEED FOR USPS TO BE INCLUDED IN A CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS PLAN! If the USPS does not receive funding, they’re projected to be broke by September. Save your job! Make the call!
Grassley – (202)224-3744Ernst – (202)224-3254
- Hawkeye District OHNA fax – (515)251-2080
- To call on Governor Reynolds to issue shelter-in-place, call (515)281-5211 Option 1
Please join the DMI-APWU zoom meeting by emailing Mike Bates email@example.com to stay up to date on the latest USPS Covid-19 news. Stay informed, get involved!